Agriculture and Irrigation
For the seventy percent of the world’s poorest living in rural areas, agriculture is the main source of income and employment. Supporting agricultural and livestock production improves livelihoods and food security, while reducing poverty and inequality. Cowater’s recognized expertise can help improve agricultural water management and provide opportunities to develop better livelihoods through technology improvements, knowledge and skills development. Cowater delivers large scale development programs with a strong emphasis on water management for agricultural use and economic development; increasing access to water for irrigation; and, improving the socio-economic development of the rural population.
OUR EXPERTISE INCLUDES:
- Experience with multi-sector agriculture and water sector projects.
- Development of best use practices for available water resources in meeting growing demands for food and other agricultural products.
- Development of smallholder irrigation schemes, provision of training and capacity building, and improved access to inputs and markets for local producers.
- Irrigation development activities: including project identification, pre-feasibility studies, detailed design and tendering, construction supervision and reception of the schemes.
- Innovation in the areas of irrigation, post-harvest and value added technologies.
- Financial assessment and economic, cost benefit analysis.
- Design and construction supervision of irrigation infrastructure.